Monday, July 23, 2012

What's your bedtime routine?

Are you an early to bed- early to rise sort of person... 
or a night owl who likes to sleep in?

Jeffrey and I are on toootally different sleep cycles.  For a long time I felt like that was a problem, and I would try really hard to stay up late so we could go to bed at the same time.  It felt important to me to have that moment when you both sit down together and kiss goodnight.  Or lay next to each other reading...  and fall asleep at the same time.  The only problem with that is, I am NOT a night owl.  Not even close.  My bedtime is somewhere around 10-11pm, and anything short of 8 hrs. sleep turns me into a straight up MESS.  Especially with a certain mini person who has no qualms about waking up all night.  Jeff's bedtime is more like 3:30am; sometimes even 5 or 6am...  He works all night and left to his own devices, he'll sleep in goooood and late.  Typical artist, right?  This mismatched bedtime thing was a tug-o-war between us for years.  He was fed up with me asking "Are you coming to bed?" or "Are you tired? What time are you coming to bed?" and I was fed up with him saying "I'm working, don't make me feel guilty."  SO...  We finally got smart and compromised!  At first I thought... how sad and unromantic that we have to schedule bedtime together.  But honestly, it's GREAT!  He gets to work all-night, 5 nights of the week.  He tucks me in and I get all the sleep I need.  On the other 2 nights, we have a rule about going to bed at the same time (and it has to be before midnight).  I love it!  And actually, Jeff loves it too.  Sometimes on those nights he even falls asleep before I do!  I secretly think that he needs more rest than he gets- and maybe he's not quite such an insomniac after all.  Have you heard about sleep debt?  Jeff's got sleep debt for years.  Now we're at the point where he'll come and remind me to come to bed and say: "It's our go to bed together night- are you ready?"  I love that.

What about you... are you and your spouse on the same schedule?   




1 comment:

  1. My husband and I used to be on the same schedule, making sure to go to bed at the same time, read and then go to sleep... but for some reason now after all these years we are totally on a different schedule. Sometimes he goes to bed first and I'm left to read downstairs so my light doesn't disturb him and sometimes I'm up there hours before him fast asleep before he emerges from the man cave that is our garage. Lately it's been me who goes to bed last. It used to bother me a lot when it first started to happen and now I don't mind at all. maybe someday we'll be on the same schedule again!

    ReplyDelete

Nice comments only, please! That means you, anonymous. ♥