Saturday, October 20, 2012

Moonrise magic...

Sooo... we're all out of our minds excited about the DVD release of Moonrise Kingdom, right?

Jeff surprised me with it, and we've got it playing back-to-back while we snack on fresh gingerbread.  It's the perfect, PERFECT movie for a cool, grey day.  Hey, can I tell you a secret?  I was SO looking forward to seeing this in the theatre, and I was SO worried that our camping trip would force me to miss it.  So I made Jeff watch Elliott (on my watching Elliott day), I grabbed Evy and and we snuck away to catch this the day before we left for the wilderness.
Is that obvious?

I left Moonrise Kingdom convinced that if Sam and Suzy could brave the terrain, so could I.  All of my camping apprehension morphed into a mission to create my own Moonrise Kingdom moment way out in the woods.  Remember our camping video?  That song playing in it resonated through me from the theatre to the great outdoors.  It set the tone and the soundtrack for our trip and now, in my mind, it's forever fused to the memories we made there.  Thanks, Wes.

You know... Wes Anderson really is some kind of genius, and his films really are some kind of brilliant.  He's like a curator, ever so carefully building these worlds of nostalgia, drama, and fantasy- down to the most exquisite and finite details, and filling them with complex and endearing characters; and inviting us in to escape for brief increments.  He's my hero.  

What's your take on his movies?  Are you a fan?  A big BIG fan?  Not a fan at all?  And what did you think of Moonrise Kingdom?  

Have you seen all of the fun, goofy Moonrise Kingdom-inspired goodies on etsy?  Is it totally embarrassing that I've found these things?  Here are a few of my favorites... 

"I love you, but you don't know what you're talking about" - Card

Vintage "Sunny Side Up" - Dress

REAL *gasp* Beetle - Earrings

Vintage Boy Scouts - Shirt

Cross stitch - Pattern


Pretty fun stuff.  :)  



And P.S.
if you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a big favor and add it to your netflix queue STAT.  










6 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!!!! Moonrise Kingdom is MY post for Monday!!!! Haha!!! Talk about great minds!!!! I hope you don't mind!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Great, I'm looking forward to yours. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen it yet but Rushmore is one of my all time favorites. The Royal Tenenbaums is amazing too. I went on a first date to that movie and I was in complete Wes Anderson euphoria at the end and my date goes "Huh...that's was weird." Weird?!?!?!! No second date for him. The thing I love about these films is the tenderness between characters and the sentiment. These films are dripping with sentimentality......the characters usually try so hard to mask it...but it's there. A tenderness and sentimentality, little super hero wanna be's that are in fact incredibly fragile and vulnerable. Love it. Love it. Love it. No masking MY sentimentality! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REALLY well put, Heather. You hit the nail on the head with that character observation. And the first date... HYSTERICAL. Haha!

      Delete

Nice comments only, please! That means you, anonymous. ♥