Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What's what in Elliott-ville...

  
As we round the corner on Elliott's 21'st month in the world, I'm reminded every day of the impending t-word.  T, as in T W O.  And it's like he knows how close it is- and is behaving accordingly.  This Elliott of ours... phew!  He is a force.  Here's what's what in Elliott-ville lately...

Diapers?  No.  Just... no.  He's so over those things.  Unfortunately, his body didn't get the no-diaper memo that his mind sent out.  So in the meantime, diaper changes involve wrestling, distracting, impressive speed, and at least 4 hands.

Naps?  Ditto.  If anti-nap tantrums were an olympic sport- you'd be looking at the platinum medal CHAMPION OF THE UNIVERSE, RIGHT HERE!  I have never seen a child so willfully determined to not be put down for a nap.  I mean, if I could hear my own thoughts over the piercing screams... I'd probably be impressed with the determination.

Food?  We're good here, thank Jesus.  He's been a voracious eater since day 1, and happily the appetite is still going strong.  Of course he'd PREFER that every meal be served with a side of ketchup, and a carrot-apple crusher, but he'll take it either way.  That I can get this child to feast on yogurt, leeks, arugula, avocados, and every meat and veggie known to man makes me a very happy mama.  10 points for Elliott!

NO.  He hears this a lot, and every single time- it's like the very first time.  The hands come up over his eyes, the knees buckle, and *SPLAT* he's face-down on the ground.  Now... cue wailing.  Aaaaand scene.  Maybe not Oscar quality, but at least Golden Globe worthy.

Baths?  Like James and Evelyn before him, Elliott is a water baby through and through.  Anything that has gone wrong in this boy's life can be cured with warm water and a few bubbles.  On a particularly difficult afternoon (*ahem* I'm looking at you, Monday) he spent a good 2.5 hours in his cupcake tub.  I'm convinced that he would have stayed in it overnight if I hadn't pulled the YOURLIPSARETOTALLYPURPLEGETOUT mom card.  

His favorite words?  "Hi" and "happy".  *mellllllllt* 
And there it is... just when I think I'm about to lose my mind, he touches my cheek, looks me right in the eyes, smiles, and says: "Hiiiii!" like he hasn't seen me in YEARS.  He bounces down to the floor, gathers his mess of Hot Wheels, Duplos, and plastic picnic food- chanting "Happy" "Happy" Happy".  And how could we not be?  

So here's me, checking in from month no. 21, dreading month no. 24, and trying hard to appreciate every moment (good and bad) along the way.  

  








5 comments:

  1. This was precious!!! I cant wait for the day that I get to write a post like this!! :) ...ahhh, someday.

    oh and I love your "no" description of the knees buckling and splat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I'm excited for you to write about a crazy pre-two year old too!!!

      Soon, lady. :)

      Delete
  2. That made me ...happy...happy...happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me....cry... with tears of joy for all of you. Ah, life and all it brings. you really share it with a good sense of humor, Coral! Thanks for being so loving in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Aunt Nickie! It's fun to share these things family and friends far away. :)

      Delete

Nice comments only, please! That means you, anonymous. ♥